Friday, February 11, 2011




I've had a few requests to tell what I do on a daily basis. It's so hard to say, because every day has been different, but I thought I'd give you a brief run-down of this past week.


On Monday, I taught two 90-minute seminars on Abuse and Neglect in the morning. In the afternoon, Odgerel and I spent some time in conversation with Enkhe (Director of Training for our School) about research needs. Then, Odgerel and I continued to talk about the possibility of conducting some research on physical activity in the classroom - children here sit and listen for most of the day!


On Tuesday, Odgerel and I went over the several hand-outs I've developed for future seminars, and the Assessment booklet I have written for the School. For interpretation to be accurate and effective, much work is done beforehand! Then, I went in search of the Public Library, where the American Center is located. This is my mail drop. I found it, and a letter from Rick. I also found a felt shop! A whole shop full of felted items - clothing, home decoration articles, doo-dads, boots, etc. Needless to say, I was in felt heaven. My purchase was a felted Santa atop a reindeer for our collection. Back to the office for a quick check-in, and home to continue writing on the series of booklets that have been requested. (I don't have a computer at work)


On Wednesday, I taught two more seminars on Abuse and Neglect, and then went home with Amaraa. She had invited her friend who also speaks some English, and we had a Tsagaan Sar meal - bots, mutton, vegetables, etc. A very nice time.


On Thursday, I worked at home until late morning and then went into the office. I met with Otgoo who teaches English as a Second Language in our School. We talked about how we might work together. In the afternoon, Doko came to the office. Doko is an amazing woman who is a felter, but also runs Duuren Sanaa, an NGO that encourages and helps market indigenous craft. (She also has a day job at another NGO) I had been communicating with her before I arrived in UB, and I was delighted to meet her. She graciously gave me her book on felt-quilting and we talked of the many opportunities to see women working. She is also going to take me to Wool Center, which, for those who know me, I can hardly wait to do!


Friday, we had a department meeting at 10:30 that got moved to 1:30....allowed time for Odgerel, Miyumi and I to go across the street to a Japanese restaurant for ramen. Our meeting lasted until 3, at which time I went to the Math department meeting. This was a lively and engaged group of people who have all kinds of interest in what we do in Columbia, and have the desire to work together with me. Very energizing meeting. Then home.


So, it's now Saturday morning - early - and I'm writing this blog. Later this morning, Oyunaa and I will go visit the National Museum of History. Sunday is a day of rest - and reading and writing!


I hope this gives you a flavor. Each day, indeed, each week, is different!




No comments:

Post a Comment